Garbage collection for residential customers, residing within the city limits of West Burlington, is provided by LaVeine Sanitation Services. Each resident has been issued a 95-Gallon waste container that belongs to the waste hauler and should not be removed from the address. Charges for garbage collection appear once a month on your monthly utility bill from the City.
FILLING YOUR WASTE CONTAINER: Please bag your trash before placing it in the container to help reduce with litter, pests, to keep containers clean and prevent spilling. Place only household garbage/trash in the container. Absolutely no paint, chemicals, motor oil or other hazardous waste should be disposed of in your container. Also, please do not place construction materials, dirt, rock, yard waste, auto parts, major appliances, hot ashes or coals in your garbage collection.
COLLECTION DAY: The wheels and handle of the container are to face your home. Note there are arrows on your container’s lid, you may use them as a helpful guide to determine the direction the container should face. Waste containers awaiting solid waste collection are to be placed within 3ft. of the resident’s alley or street and must have an open radius of 3ft around the container and a clearing height of 10ft for collection.
MOVING YOUR CONTAINER: Make sure the lid is closed, grasp the container firmly with both hands and wheel the container to the point of collection. Containers for street-side collection are not to be place in residents front yards earlier than 5:00 p.m. on the day before trash pickup and no later than 6 a.m. on the day of collection. Customers with street-side collection are to remove waste containers within 12 hours after pickup.
City of West Burlington
122 Broadway Street
Des Monies County Landfill
Haz Chem Center
Des Moines County Regional Waste - Area Recycling Center
The Des Moines County Regional Waste – Area Recyclers provides bi-weekly curbside recycling collection to West Burlington residents. For more information, you may contact Area Recyclers at 319-753-8126 or 1-800-216-8126 or visit their website at https://dmcwaste.org/services/area-recyclers
General Guidelines for curbside recycling are:
- A green bin from the Area Recyclers program must be used. To get a container go to the Recycling Center at 1818 West Burlington Ave., Burlington, IA
- Materials must be separated according to categories, using paper or plastic bags placed inside the bins
- Recyclables must be placed at your front curbside, even if trash is picked up elsewhere.
- Recyclables must be set out no later than 7:30 a.m. to guarantee pickup.
Items that ARE recyclable locally include:
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, phone books
- Corrugated cardboard, flattened and bundled
- Glass jars and bottles, drinking glasses, dishes, ceramics and many other types of glass
- Tin and aluminum cans, aluminum foil, pie pans, food trays
- Plastic bottles and containers #1, 2 & 5
Items that are NOT recyclable locally include:
- Paperboard like a cereal box is NOT recyclable locally
- Pizza boxes are not recyclable because they are contaminated with foodstuff and cooking oil
- Motor oil bottles will not be taken because of petroleum contamination