Planning and Zoning

Contact Information

Kelly Fry, City Clerk

West Burlington City Hall
122 Broadway Street
West Burlington, IA  52655
Phone: 319-752-5451



What is Zoning?

Zoning is a set of policies adopted by the City Council to regulate the use of land within the city. The location, size, and height of buildings and signs, size of lots, yards, and other open spaces are all regulated by Zoning. Zoning also regulates what you can use your property for and what you can build on it. The basis of Zoning is to protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the community and its residents.  Each property in West Burlington is designated with a zoning classification.

Zoning Map (Link)   


What is a Subdivision?

A subdivision is a division or re-division of land into two (2) or more lots to transfer ownership or future development.  It can also refer to the consolidation of parcels for the same purpose.  Chapter 170 of the West Burlington City Code regulates Subdivisions.

Application for Subdividing (LINK)


What is the approval process for a Subdivision?

The approval process for Subdivisions consists of three stages: the submittal of a sketch plan, the preliminary plat approval process, and the final plat approval process.  All subdivisions are reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Commission.  After reviewing a subdivision plat, the Commission will make a recommendation for or against the subdivision to City Council.  City Council will consider approving a Subdivision by Resolution and authorize the subdivision to be recorded with the Des Moines County Recorder.   


How long does the approval process take?

We estimate 4 – 6 weeks for the review and approval process. 


What about Subdivisions Outside the City Limits?

The City of West Burlington also reviews and approves subdivisions within two-miles of the city limits. The review of subdivisions in this two-mile jurisdiction is similar to subdivisions within the city limits.  Section 170.17 (5) of the City Code provides for some modifications.


Are sidewalks required in a Subdivision?

Sidewalks are required; however, requirements may be waived in certain districts, as stated in Section 170.28 (3).


What guidelines address right-of-way and pavement widths for streets, alleys, and utility easements in a Subdivision?

Right-of-way widths and easements should follow the regulations outlined in Section 170.23 of the Municipal Code.  Pavement widths should follow the regulations outlined in Section 170.24.


What regulation deals with adequate public services?

Section 170.29 through 170.32 regulates the necessity of public services, including adequate water, waste management, stormwater drainage utilities.

Contact Us

122 Broadway St
West Burlington, IA 52655



Few Clouds


Few Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Wind: W at 2.57 METER/SEC


West Burlington


Copyright 2018 City of West Burlington