City Administrator Dan Gifford
Contact info: GiffordD@WestBurlington.org
- The City Administrator is the chief administrative officer of the City.
Specific duties include:
- Ensure that the laws, ordinances, resolutions, directives, and policies of the City Council and Mayor are enforced and executed.
- Advise the Mayor and Council on matters of efficient government and the general welfare of the City.
- General responsibility for the supervision of all City services, including police, fire, water, sewer, and streets.
- Keep the Mayor and Council fully advised of the financial conditions of the City. Assist the Mayor and Council in preparing the annual budget.
- Responsible for overseeing contracts for work and services done for the City. Direct the purchase of all supplies and services for all departments of the City that have been budgeted and approved by the Council.
- Hire City employees, with recommendations from Department Heads and with final Council approval.
- Discipline or dismiss employees, with Council approval.
- Supervise the management of all buildings and City-owned property.
Background and Experience:
- Dan is from North Central Iowa and worked for the City of Fairfield for five years as a City Planner and spent three years as the City Administrator for the City of Holstein in Northwest Iowa before coming to West Burlington in March of 2006.
- Bachelor Degree in Fisheries and Wildlife Biology from Iowa State University, and a Masters Degree in Urban and Regional Planning from the University of Iowa.
- Associations American Planning Association American Institute of Certified Planners International City/County Management Association Iowa City/County Management Association